Audiometric Officer Course (5 day)
The Audiometric Officer Course is the industry standard in occupational audiometry in Western Australia.
2018 dates available – scroll down to view and register
This course involves “hands on” training, with a strong focus on the practical/clinical and decision-making skills required to conduct accurate audiometry, including in challenging or non-routine testing situations. After training more than 1,000 students over a decade it’s pretty clear to us that turning out graduates who are competent, confident and can operate independently within the WA compensation system takes time and thorough one-on-one coaching. Consequently, this government-approved course is conducted over 5 days.
For training in other states please see our 4-day Occupational Audiometry Course.
The skills and knowledge taught in the Audiometric Officer Course are focussed specifically on the requirements of the WorkCover WA noise induced hearing loss legislation. Skills may also be applied in other areas including:
- In-company audiometric monitoring programs.
- Pre-employment assessments.
- Employee health surveillance monitoring programs.
- Assessments of hearing ability for driving, diving or other requirements.
Who would benefit from the Audiometric Officer Course?
- People employed in occupational health and safety who are seeking the “industry ticket” to perform legislated hearing tests within Western Australia.
- Anyone seeking an audiometry qualification to assist with a career transition into occupational health & safety.
- Medical centre personnel interested in adding audiometry to their range of services for adult corporate/industrial customers.
- People currently practicing audiometry in Western Australia who want to enhance their skills by undertaking training or to obtain a formal qualification.
Qualifying as a WorkCover WA Approved Audiometric Officer (AAO) in Western Australia
To become an Approved Audiometric Officer (AAO) with WorkCover WA individuals must attend and pass two courses:
(i) the 5-day Audiometric Officer Course, and
(ii) the 2-hour AAO Online Training Course* conducted by WorkCover WA.
*The 2-hour AAO Online Training Course is presented in-person on the Wednesday afternoon of our 5-day program. While a place will be “reserved” for students attending our 5-day course, WorkCover WA requires all students to register separately with them for this session. To register: complete and return to WorkCover WA the AAO Online Training Course registration form (download form below).
For more information or to view a list of AAO Online Training Course dates visit the Events Calendar on the WorkCover WA website or phone (08) 9388 5538 . Please note: contrary to the title this course is not conducted “online”. Students must physically attend the training, which is conducted at the WorkCover office in Shenton Park (Perth).
Audiometric Officer Course Dates
Note: these dates include attendance at the WorkCover WA AAO Online Training Course
Click on a suitable date for an editable registration form
COURSE FULL – contact admin@hearing company.com.au for wait list place
Registrations now open
Course availability changes regularly. Please refresh the page for current information.
AUDIOMETRIC OFFICER COURSE – Information Documents and Registration Forms
– view cost, payment options, terms & conditions.
AUDIOMETRIC OFFICER COURSE – What previous students have said:
“One of the best run courses I have ever attended – knowledgeable presenters and skills coaches. I enjoyed learning about something I had little knowledge of prior to attending.”
Director, Kinnect, Western Australia
Some of our regular customers…
Additional information about the course
- Courses generally fill (maximum of 10-12 places) several weeks ahead of the start date. Although we endeavour to keep course vacancies up to date on the website we recommend that you contact us prior to registration to confirm availability.
- Courses require a minimum number of students to run. If there are insufficient numbers a course will be cancelled. In the event of a cancellation anyone registered will be offered alternative course dates or a full refund.
- Customised courses: for companies with a small number of personnel to be trained we can arrange customised courses, usually over 3-4 days and delivered on site at the customer’s premises. Conditions apply. Please contact us if you would like more information.
- EQUIPMENT SALES: audiometers, booths, accessories – View
- NOISE MEASUREMENTS: WorkCover booth assessments, noise surveys – View
- EQUIPMENT HIRE: occupational audiometers, tympanometers – View
** IMPORTANT changes to occupational hearing legislation in Western Australia, 2013.
On 12 January 2013 the Department of Mines and Petroleum (DMP) in WA repealed the legal requirement for companies to have Mine Workers’ Health Surveillance (MWHS) spirometry and audiometry assessments conducted on mine site employees.
Importantly, the WorkCover WA legislation in regard to audiometry HAS NOT CHANGED. That is, employers are still legally required to provide a baseline hearing test for workers exposure to high levels of noise at work.
Download an information sheet: DMP advice re MWHS changes Jan 2013